Friday, April 18, 2008

Score one for the mommy!!!

First off I need to thank Naw for coming to sit with the silly kids while we attended this meeting. When Doug and I left Mara was grouchy crying cause of the teeth coming in and Airen was having a screaming fit over who knows what.

I am just ready to jump from my skin I am so proud of myself. This morning Doug and I had Airen's transition to kindergarden IEP meeting. I was nervous going into the meeting as I was told to expect the team to want to cut some services and not even consider other things I wanted in his IEP. We took our home occupational therapist (OT) with us and I am so thankful she was there. The preschool team and the elementary team were present. Well let's just say the elementary team was NOT prepared and had not done any reading of the IEP that was prepared by Airen's teachers. When they told us that Airen's OT services would be CUT I really thought our home OT was going to jump across the table she was that upset. I too was upset and calmly voiced my concerns and issues. The preschool team was getting very upset because the elementary team was pretty much setting Airen up to fail in the kindergarden level. It was then suggested we add the OT on an ''as needed basis''. NOT HAPPENING. I know what ''as needed'' means and that wording would not be on our child's IEP. We got to discussing a few other issues and they also started to take the ''let's wait and see'' approach. Again NOT HAPPENING!!! When it was all said and done I got what I wanted. What I wanted includes Airen having a paraprofessional aide in the class with HIM to help keep him on task and to help with any meltdowns that make come up. The aide will also help with the toileting issues. We are lucky because the school principal is also the district representative so the aide for Airen got approved on the spot!!!! Again I am just so shocked that things got approved and it looks like the teams are taking this momma serious!!!