Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Playdate!!

Yesterday afternoon I received an email from a mom of a little boy in Airen's class. Really out of the blue and unexpected. She was writing to ask if Airen could come play on Sunday. I had to re-read the email a few times. I was so excited. Airen is always talking about a few of the kids he plays with but we really don't get a lot of details of their play. So for us we weren't sure if he was just observing the play or if he indeed was engaging in play with these children.

Socialization is a huge challenge for Airen. I cannot tell you the number of mornings I drop him off at school then sit in the parking lot watching how he interacts with children. Most mornings he is running around the playground in a very particular routine, that typically does not involve other peers. These are the mornings that break my heart. Other mornings I watch him jump from one person to another without much interaction.

So back to another proud moment!! I picked up Airen from school this afternoon. As he was walking to the gate so many of the kids were saying ''bye Airen'', ''see you tomorrow Airen''. To hear the kids acknowledging Airen was so great because to me it means he is learning to socialize with the kids in his class. We will work on the playground down the road!! I received another email from the mom. She sounds so excited. I sent her a message back thanking her for the invite and I can't wait for the boys to play Sunday. I am not sure either boy is going to make it through the next few days!!!