Monday, January 26, 2009

Jump Start Autism Program

About a week ago I finished up a very long packet of information and mailed it back to SARRC. I was applying for a program they offer called Jump Start. The program is mainly for newly diagnosed children and families. In our case the program wasn't an option previously as it has a very high price tag, $3000. I recently found out that if we are receiving services from DDD and have an autism diagnosis we could apply and get in with a grant from the state paying for it. I was so excited to get the phone call this afternoon telling me that we got in a program to start on April 1st and ending on April 24th. We will go Wednesdays and Fridays from 9-11:30am. Airen will have to miss school these days as its an hour drive to the center then an hour drive back. Luckily Airen is doing so well in school that I really don't think him missing some days is going to hurt him. Once I get the next packet of information in the mail I will be sitting down with the principal, school case worker and teacher. My thoughts are we will just get the work to do at home during home therapy sessions and all will be good. I am just so excited that I was able to get into this program before the funding is stopped.

A brief statement about the program from the website.
Teaches parents of newly diagnosed children about the characteristics of ASDs and how to begin improving communications, reducing problem behaviors, accessing state services and coordinating with service providers. Also supports skills development for children with ASDs in school and community settings.