Saturday, September 27, 2008

Stupid school people

Friday afternoon around 4:25 pm I received a phone call from the school principal. Mr Principal proceeds to tell me that Airen is doing wonderful in school and is really adjusting. Fine just get on with why you are calling me this late on a Friday. Mr Principal goes on to say that on Monday there will be a change in Airen's 1:1 aide. WHAT??? Tells me that there will now be two individuals working with Airen each day. One will be in the morning from either 8-11 am or 9-11 am and the other will step in for the afternoon. NOT HAPPENING. I'm trying very hard to hold it together and hear him out. Mr Principal continues to tell me he would appreciate it if I could help this weekend and get Airen ready for the transition. Hello...Airen's main issues are with TRANSITIONS. Of course a few red flags went off in my head so I kept my mouth shut and knew who I'd be contacting next. Luckily I seem to have a very good working relationship with the Director of Exceptional Students. I emailed her and left her a voice mail at the two numbers I have for her. She is so good!!! She replied to me about 8:30 pm copying me on a message she sent to Mr Principal. She is not aware of any changes to Airen's IEP, as they have to have her in attendance for any IEP addendum meetings. She also sent me a personal message telling me she is going to get the answers for me.

Of course telling Airen that his current aide isn't going to be with him has already upset him. He told me he thinks he's going to be sick for school this week and went off crying. He's really taken to his aide and is finally comfortable with her after 5 weeks in school. We are finally to the point of getting to school with no fights or tantrums. Of course Mr Principal and I always talk in the mornings at drop off so Monday is going to be a bit akward since I went above him on this issue. Oh well. You'd think they school would know not to mess with this momma as she plays by the rules and will file state complaints should she see fit. URGHHHHH!!! I have confrontation so that is my biggest worry come Monday. Oh well don't mess with my son's education and that's what happening now.

So everyone please say a little prayer Monday morning. Say a prayer that Airen gets up and dressed and breakfast with no fights. A prayer that mommy can hold it together when we arrive at the school. A prayer that should Mr Principal wish to discuss this situation that I can hold my emotions in check till after leaving the school. A prayer that since I will have Mara with me that she behaves the right way at the right moments---scream should the time be right!!! Prayers that Airen can make it through the day with no problems. Prayers that this mommy doesn't totally lose it before Monday.

Sometimes I really hate being an adult and dealing with issues like this. So another prayer that mommy has the strength to stay strong and fight the fight for her children.