Thursday, November 27, 2008

Wise words from a wise woman

This week while speaking with a good friend about happenings in my life and how my children were we got to talking about more deep ideas and such. She knows the day to day challenges I have with Airen and therapies and such. She knows my family dynamics and understands the challenges that go along with being a stay at home mom and having a special needs child. She told me the following.

"There are two types of people in this world. Karen, you are type one. Your type will be faced with adversity and challenges and many negative issues. You will roll down that hill of uncertainty but you will eventually land on your feet and make it and succeed. Type two people face these same things and only continue to roll and never get back on their feet. They need additional supports from the environment around them and never truly make it to a standing position, even with this help." She went on to tell me that because I am type one person those around me never truly see that I am struggling. All they see is the strong person I am and the wonderful mother I am to my children. Type two people are the ones that need all the help and support they can get so not for them to fail.

For this friend to say this to me meant the world. There are times that I am at the end of the rope and there are no more knots to be tied. There are days that I am just ready to put each child into a room and I sit for a few minutes of peace. There are days that I wonder what life would be like if God chose a different path for me. I then sit back and look at all the successes I have with Airen and what a wonderful loving son he's become. What a great big brother he is to his sister. I see Mara who is my trying one but is also my cuddle bug full of life. Through the eyes of each of my children I am able to embrace life and all the trials God has thrown my way. I am ready to handle the adversity and challenges because I know that no matter what I am a wonderful mother. I am a wonderful friend and most of all I am a wonderful child of God and He knows what is best for me and He won't give me more then I can handle in any given moment. I thank you God for all you've blessed my life with and hope that the type two people out there see God and His gifts and someday come to stand on their feet...alone.